Saturday, March 21, 2009

Virtual vs Reality

It's a fact that today's world is getting more and more virtual. We all seem to have some sort of presence on the web. I think its fair to say that every person I've ever met in the last 15 years has some sort of an email address, much to the shagrin of the U.S. Postal Service, but we now have our virtual presence on sites like Facebook or LinkedIn. These sites are allowing us to build a profile and let the world know who we are, what we like, and who we want to be friends with.  Its becoming so popular, that companies now are having internal sites to increase the networking capacity of its own employees.  But does all this virtual activity replace the traditional networking methods of going to an event and meeting a person face to face? 

In a way, yes it does. In fact, I'd argue that its more efficient and more real than actual meeting people at networking events.  Here's my reason. The speed at which people can meet others online is considerably faster than any networking event I've been too.  I could network with someone in Middle East with a click of a profile and a quick note if I needed to get in touch with someone in that region. Sites like Facebook and LinkedIn have made that possible. I'd also argue that with the checks and balances in place in these websites, have allowed a more honest profile to exist therefore making networking a bit more real.

I feel going to networking events, whether work related or some school event leads to a rather "fake" interaction. Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject?

4 comments:

  1. I agree that sites like LinkedIn and Facebook definitely facilitate easier and more efficient networking. However, I think there is something to be said for face to face connections. It may be hard to read a person you first meet online. It might be harder to tell if they are being genuine. (Although, I agree that can be equally challenging in person!) I think that keeping up a balance between the two is key, or at least some combination of the two.
    Social networking sites, email, etc. are an incredible way to maintain relationships. It is much easier to keep in touch, reconnect, and even cultivate relationships, but I think that there are still positives to in person networking. Perhaps make a more lasting impression. Be able to observe, react to, and feed off of each other’s facial expressions and body language.
    Particularly at this stage when social networking technology is still advancing and developing its user base, there are some people (i.e. in different age groups) that you might miss out on if you are only relying on virtual networking.
    Before I wrap this up, I wanted to say that I do agree, though, that some networking events just feel forced or phony. But, I don’t think it’s enough to swear them off, just yet….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking from a business or professional perspective, the role of networking is absolutely important in areas of job search, seeking business opportunities, etc. However, how effective can virtual networking be in these circumstances? The traditional face-to-face networking goes a level beyond the virtual networking in building trust and relationships by helping the parties involved to match up people’s expressions and gesticulations with their words. The level of caution exercised when building first time contacts virtually defeats the whole purpose of networking- to build trust and relationships.

    For instance, I have Facebook and LinkedIn accounts and have tried to connect with friends as well as complete strangers that are within my career field. However, I feel hesitant to put up much personal information on these sites or even disclose them when having personal virtual conversations with such individuals.
    With security issues such as internet scams, etc, there’s is definitely need to exercise more caution when building virtual networks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that online networking is faster and its easier to keep in touch with people that are located throughout the world. I'm just hesitant to trust the information posted on the web - anyone can put up a profile with whatever information they feel like posting. I prefer meeting people face to face so I can get a better "read" on the person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be stretching what is a specific point made by you about professional networking, but I just posted about how online interaction does not come at the expense of in person interaction, but rather supplements it. I quoted you and linked back.
    http://walterfrick.blogspot.com/2009/03/online-or-in-person-we-can-and-do-have.html

    ReplyDelete